So I know Spring is around the corner (for the Southern Hemisphere) and we all want to start losing some winter bulge. I’ve been leading you and mostly myself into temptation with the previous 2 posts; white bread and peanut butter cookies. This will be my last “not-so-healthy” post for a while. These cookies are at least a lot healthier than the previous ones because they contain oats and coconut. My mom used to make them all the time when we were younger. They are very yummy but remember to enjoy them in moderation and as part of a healthy diet and exercise plan!
This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.(depending on size)
3 cups desiccated coconut
1 cup cake flour
4 cups Oats
1.5 cups of sugar (1 and a half cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter or margarine
3 tablespoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 1/4 cup milk
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2. Melt butter and syrup together and add to dry ingredients.
3. Add the bicarbonate of soda (which is dissolved in milk) to mixture. Mix well.
4. Smear baking tray with butter or spray with spray and cook.
5. Press mixture flat onto baking tray about 1cm thick.
6. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
7. Cut into blocks. Allow them to cool then serve. Yum!